Thursday, November 3, 2011

6 months

So I have finally decided that I was ready to talk about 10/29 which marked Makenzie's 6 months since being an angel.

The week leading up to it was scary...I wasn't sure how I was going to feel. But it was that Friday (10/28) that was the hardest. That was the day that my world came crashing down. The day that we were told our daughter was dead.

I woke up feeling okay but it wasn't until I had to go and see the world since I had to work that day. I felt like all I wanted was to be alone but at the same time I didn't want my mind to wonder and to remember that day. So I went on with my day...not every well but I made it through. Not without a few break downs.

Saturday...My parents and my brother came down to spend the day with us and the boys went golfing (since it was a beautiful day) and my mom and I went shopping. After they left, Chris and I decided that we would finally look at the color originals that we got from Now I lay Me Down To Sleep. I had emailed the photographer that took Makenzie's photos and asked for the un-touched originals since we didn't have any color photos of her. It took us about a week to get the nerve to look at them. I had forgotten how pale she looked. I know that photos aren't always the best when it comes to shades and lighting can make the color look different too. But I had forgotten how bad her skin had looked...where it had peeled. At that moment I felt like a horrible mom, not remembering how she looked on that short day...that only day we had with her. But I guess I only remember holding her and loving her and remembering that she was our daughter and she was perfect in our eyes.

I can't believe that 6 months have come so fast. I watch other moms who have 6 month olds and I can't even picture what she would look like...I only have this picture in my mind of my newborn (even though she was 8lbs 11oz...not really the size of a newborn). We joke when we see 6 month olds that they are just now the size that Makenzie was at birth and that makes me smile. There isn't a second that goes by that I don't think about her and how my life would have been but I wouldn't change one second of that day if it meant that I wouldn't have had my daughter.

I love you Makenzie and you will forever be in our hearts!

2 comments:

  1. Six months seemed to SUCK a lot more than some of the other months...I don't really know why, but it just did. Glad you guys made it through and I am so glad you have the original pictures. I'm sorry they were hard to see, but at the same time I think it's important that you have whatever you can of Makenzie's.

    ReplyDelete